In the following you will find the steps necessary for a successful application in chronological order.
Information event – have a look at the German homepage of the Erasmus-office for date and place of the event
At the beginning of every winter semester (mid-November), the Erasmus office organizes an event to inform interested students about the Erasmus+ program, the partner universities, the recognition of foreign credits, and the application process and deadlines.
The application phase for a stay abroad usually runs from early December to late January. During this time you can upload your application and all necessary documents to the online platform Mobility Online . If not all places are taken after the first round of applications, there will be a second one.
Applying for the Erasmus+ Program
In order to apply for a space on the Erasmus+ program, you will have to upload the following documents to Mobility Online until the end of January:
(Find the link at “Study abroad with ERASMUS+!” > “Everything you need to know about applying to ERASMUS”.)
1. Motivational letter, in which you detail:
- why you want to study at your preferred host university
- why you are interested in studying in your preferred host country
- your current level in the language of instruction at the host university (including a language certificate ) and your plans to reach the required level before your stay abroad. If the language of instruction is English, a high school diploma (Abiturzeugnis) is accepted instead of a language certificate.
- previous international experiences, if any.
2. Completed Preliminary Learning Agreement (“Study abroad with ERASMUS+!” > “Everything you need to know about applying to ERASMUS” > “Which documents do I need to upload online?”), in which you show that you have researched your preferred host university’s course catalog. The form does not have to be signed at this point.
3. CV – Europass or regular format
4. Transcript of Records or STiNE printout of your previously completed classes at Universität Hamburg. If at the time of application you are in your first graduate semester, please upload your undergraduate certificate. If you are in your first undergraduate semester, please upload your high school diploma (Abiturzeugnis).
5. Proof of enrolment (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) at Universität Hamburg for the current semester
Accepting Your Offer
Offers are made based on the following criteria:
- motivation for preferred choice of host country and university
- skill level in the language of the host country
- number of semesters
- previous academic achievements
ATTENTION: If you do not upload all necessary documents and information to Mobility-Online by the end of January, we will assume that you are no longer interested in participating in the Erasmus+ program and offer your place to someone else.
After all places have been distributed, you will be asked to bindingly accept your offer by checking the corresponding box in Mobility Online. If you have not done so by March, we will assume that you are no longer interested in participating in the Erasmus+ program and offer your place to someone else.
If at any point during the application process you realize that you are no longer interested in a stay abroad, please cancel your application.
Documents, like e.g. the Grant Agreement, will be generated from the data that has been entered in Mobility Online.
Nomination at the Host University
Once you have bindingly accepted your place via Mobility Online, the Erasmus office will nominate you at the host university. This serves to inform the partner universities of how many Erasmus+ participants would like to attend their universities that year.
The host university will ask you to apply directly to them and provide all the necessary information.
Your place in the program is not yet guaranteed by the host university accepting your nomination. You will only get your final confirmation after submitting your application to the host university and the university accepting you (see below).
Application at the Host University
After you have been nominated at the host university by the Erasmus office and the host university has accepted your nomination, you will be asked to apply there as a visiting student (usually via centralized online application).
Usually the host university asks for the Learning Agreement (signed by the Erasmus office) along with your application. Please consult the guidelines provided at “Study abroad with ERASMUS+!” > “Forms for download after successful submission of ERASMUS applications” > “Guideline Learning Agreement for Studies (PDF, in German only)”. Incomplete or old forms are often not accepted by the International Office, which can lead to a delay of payment.
Please make an appointment with the Erasmus office at the Institute for Psychology via email (mailto:email@example.com(erasmus-psychologie"AT"uni-hamburg.de)) to get your Learning Agreement signed. Be prepared to bring the fully filled in form.
The Learning Agreement must be filled in, signed, and uploaded to Mobility Online before you begin your stay abroad.
Acceptance at the Host University
As soon as your application reaches the host university, your documents will be assessed and written confirmation of your acceptance is expected to be sent out by June or July. Only once you receive this written confirmation, you are officially accepted as a visiting student at your host university.
The International Office will generate a Grant Agreement based on the data you have entered in Mobility-Online . The Grant Agreement is a contract between you and Universität Hamburg detailing the conditions of your stay abroad with Erasmus+. Once it has been generated, you will find it in your Mobility Online account. From there you will print it, sign it, and hand it in to the Erasmus office at the Institute for Psychology. Make sure to clearly mark the receiver and leave it in the letterbox in front of room 4097 in VMP 5. It is important that you specify the duration of your stay abroad as accurately as possible.
You will also have to upload Part I of the Learning Agreement, fully filled in and signed by all parties, as well as proof of enrolment at Universität Hamburg for the semester you will spend abroad to Mobility Online.
Shortly before your departure, you will receive a link for an online language assessment (OLS) in the language of instruction at your host university. You will have to take the test before leaving as well as after returning. If you do not take the test, this may result in non-payment of the second instalment of the grant and possibly a demand that you refund the first instalment.
More information, like your contact person at your destination (Departmental Coordinator), housing, information events, and language classes for international students during the semester, is available from your host university. If you have any questions, feel free to contact your Departmental Coordinator.
Payment of the First Grant Instalment
For the first instalment of your grant to be paid, scans of the following documents have to be uploaded to Mobility Online:
- the Grant Agreement (printed, signed, and handed in to the Erasmus office)
- proof of enrolment at Universität Hamburg for the semester that you leave
- Part I of the Learning Agreement (signed by you, the Erasmus office, and the host university). Please remember to fill out table B! The Learning Agreement must be signed before you begin your stay abroad.
- participation in the online language assessment (You will receive your invitation to participate via email.)
- Part I of the Confirmation of Stay (filled in and signed by the host university)
Please take care that you only use the forms for the academic year that you spend abroad. The International Office often does not accept old versions of the forms.
It is within the rights of the DAAD to demand a refund of the grant if you do not keep your part of the Grant Agreement, e.g. by not completing the language assessment or the final survey or failing to upload all the necessary forms.
Back in Hamburg – Payment of the Second Grant Instalment
For the second instalment of your grant to be paid, you must submit the following documents:
Please hand in the original complete Confirmation of Stay (Parts I and II) at the Erasmus office.
Please upload to Mobility Online:
- Parts I and II of the Learning Agreement, signed by you, the host university, and the Erasmus office. Please remember to fill in table B. You do not have to hand in Part III, instead upload:
- the Transcript of Records from the host university.
You will also have to complete an EU online survey as well as another online language assessment. (You will receive emails for both after your return.)
If you fail to complete the survey or the language assessment or do not submit all necessary documents, the DAAD will not pay the remainder of the grant and might demand a refund of previous payments.
Please leave the original version of the Confirmation of Stay, with the Erasmus office clearly indicated as the receiver, in the letterbox in front of room 4097 in VMP 5 or send it via post to:
Fakultät für Psychologie und Bewegungswissenschaft
Erasmusbüro, z. H. Barbara Busch
We will forward the document to the International Office for you.